Hablamos Español - Available 24/7

CA Workers Compensation Return to Work Supplement Program

CA Workers Compensation Return to Work Supplement Program

CA Workers Compensation Return to Work Supplement Program

CA Workers Compensation Return to Work Supplement Program

CA Workers Compensation Return to Work Supplement Program – California Labor Code Section 139.48 implemented through Senate Bill 863 created a $120 Million fund for a Supplement Program called Return to Work (RTW). The RTW fund was created to provide aid for workers whose disability benefits are extremely low and need retraining to return to the workforce to a meaningful profession or trade. In addition to receiving the $6,000.00 Supplemental Job Displacement Voucher (SJDV), eligible injured workers for the SJDV may be eligible to receive an additional $5,000.00 payment from the fund. The money is meant to be used as supplemental income while the California injured employee completes an eligible retraining program with their SJDV after completion of a workers' compensation claim.

Eligibility for Return to Return to Work Supplement Program

To qualify for the additional $5,000.00 payment from the fund, the following four conditions must be met:

  • Your injury must be industrial in nature, meaning it is admitted by the insurance company or third party administrator
  • The injury must have occurred on or after 1/1/2013, injuries prior to this date do not qualify;
  • The hurt employee must have received a supplemental job displacement benefit voucher for the injury their injury;
  • The SJDV must applied for a qualifying vocational program.

How to Apply for Return to Work Supplement Program

Thelp-with-return-to-work-supplement-programhere are many companies that provide help to use the Supplemental Job Displacement Voucher and to apply for money from the fund. These state licensed companies are allowed to charge up to 10% off the top of the $6,000.00 SJDV for their services to help an injured worker implement the Voucher to get into a school and get money from the fund.

In order to apply, you must submit an application that can be found at the dir website. The applicant must fill the application by April 13 or within a year from receiving the Voucher. Each applicant should also be ready to submit the application for payment on their own even if they have an attorney. In other words, if you have an attorney, your attorney will not be obliged to do that for you. Therefore, the use of a licensed company may be of great value after the completion of the workers' compensation case and receipt of the SJDV.

The application process requires you to have access to a computer, scanner and a printer. Therefore, if you do not have that, seek the nearest Department of Workers Compensation district office to use their resources for your application. If you need help identifying the nearest district office of the WCAB.

NOTE: If your voucher was issued after May 13, 2015, then the carrier should send you a notice along with the voucher explaining your eligibility for the RTW benefits. If it was issued before that date, the regulations do not require the defendant to inform injured workers about the program and their potential eligibility.

Rejection of the RTW Application

If your RTW application for payment is rejected by the director, then there can be an appeal to the Workers Compensation Appeals Board in regards to that adverse determination.

Alexander D. Napolin, Esq.